9 Holiday Party Tips to Stay Healthy This Season!
I look forward to the holidays as much as the next person, but sometimes holiday parties can include a whole spread of food items that I don’t choose to eat. Even if you do decide to indulge in holiday treats, here are my tips to minimizing the damage so you can start the new year off on the right foot!
- Don’t show up HUNGRY: I always have a snack before I head out to a party or event where I know it may be hard for me to find something I want to eat. It also keeps you from overdoing it when you get there. Some of my favorite choices are fruit with nuts or nut butter, veggies/salad (especially if I know I won’t get any where I’m going), or a smoothie (love this for when I know a meal won’t be served, but I’m pretty sure there will be sides I can nibble on).
- Check out all the offerings first: You don’t have to try everything. Check out the whole spread before deciding on the items you want. Why waste a cheat meal on foods that you don’t care about when you can stick to what you’ll really enjoy!
- Make a plate: It’s easy to stand near the food mindlessly nibbling and completely loose site of how much you’ve eaten. Making a plate will give you a visual on how much you’re having. You can always go back for more!
- Sit down to eat: Sometimes this just isn’t an option, but if you are able to sit down with your food, you can pay more attention to what you’re eating and have a better sense of when you’ve had enough.
- Use parties as a reason to try a healthier version of your favorite dishes to share: Your host doesn’t want you to go hungry, but they may not know your eating preferences. Bring an item you can enjoy and it’s a win for everyone. Plus, you might help someone else eat a little healthier as well!
- Alternate alcohol or other caloried drinks with water: This will keep you more hydrated and slow you down so you’re not having more than your fair share for a good time.
- Workout on party day: Workouts and eating right just go hand in hand. You’re much more likely to stay on track with your food when you’ve got your workout done for the day. You can’t always count on getting it done the day after a party!
- Eat clean all day: If you start off with junk at breakfast, it tends to go down hill from there. If you’re planning on indulging for dinner, eat clean during the day to keep the damage to a minimum.
- Enjoy!!! Creating a healthy and fit lifestyle isn’t all about sacrifice!! You should be able to enjoy social gatherings and reach your health and fitness goals.